Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Care

I had planned to write a beautiful blog entry on the topic of values and happiness during a long weekend. However, my plan has just remained to be a plan. I am now sitting at a dressing table in a hospital ward thinking of how to start with this blog entry. It seems to be difficult as an assignment for a course at school, and it is really much more difficult when the writer, while writing, needs to ensure that her friend, a patient just discharged from the surgery theatre, has all her needs noticed and addressed.

The short hand of the clock on the wall is touching 12. A new day is coming near. A very special day. The day I turned into 35. For every passing year, my birthday came with much excitement about wishes and gifts. This birthday looks different. I am sitting here thinking of what my friend was just now thinking about and why the tear kept running down her cheeks. Everyone needs to live this moment of life to slow down a bit and think of what is the meaning of his or her life. Jewellery, fashionable clothes and expensive cosmetics are all useless materials for this moment. My friend now needs to have her hands held tightly, her tear wiped out, and her pain noticed. She needs to have her family members and friends here to share the pain. Care is a gift of life that can keep her from loneliness in a very cold hospital ward. I am here and happy to be here to live this moment of life though leaving many of my tasks incompleted. Caring for a friend in need is not less important than completing an assignment, but much more important than writing a beautiful blog entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment